Home Washington Press Releases 2010 D.C. Man Convicted of Kidnapping Victim at Gunpoint, Holding Him for Ransom
This is archived material from the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) website. It may contain outdated information and links may no longer function.

D.C. Man Convicted of Kidnapping Victim at Gunpoint, Holding Him for Ransom

U.S. Attorney’s Office December 21, 2010
  • District of Columbia (202) 252-6933

WASHINGTON—Floyd L. Clark, 29, of Washington, D.C., recently was convicted by a federal jury of kidnapping and other charges stemming from an incident in which he held a man and demanded $150,000 in ransom, U.S. Attorney Ronald C. Machen Jr. announced.

Clark was convicted on December 13, 2010 of one count of kidnapping, two counts of carjacking, one count of armed robbery, multiple counts of committing these offenses while armed with a firearm, and one count of transporting a firearm across state lines while under indictment for a crime punishable by more than one year imprisonment.

The verdicts followed a trial before the Honorable Judge Paul L. Friedman in the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia. No date has been set for sentencing. Clark faces a mandatory-minimum sentence of 22 years.

According to the government’s evidence, on May 6, 2009, Clark and an accomplice lured the victim to a meeting at 51st and Fitch Streets SE under the pretense of wanting to discuss a potential drug deal. When the victim arrived, Clark and his accomplice entered the victim’s vehicle and abducted him at gunpoint. After robbing the victim of all of his items of value, Clark and his accomplice drove the victim around in his own vehicle and interrogated him about the places he stored money.

Clark threatened to kill the victim and the victim’s family if the victim did not give him $150,000. The victim told Clark that he kept money at a storage facility in Bladensburg, Maryland. Shortly after Clark and his accomplice drove the victim to the storage facility, the victim managed to escape and to report the incident to the police. A warrant was issued for Clark’s arrest in June 2009. He was arrested in April 2010.

In announcing the verdict, U.S. Attorney Machen commended the exceptional investigative work of Metropolitan Police Department (MPD) Detectives Elmer Baylor and Stacey Carey and the entire MPD and FBI Violent Crimes Task Force. He also praised the work of Thomas R. Royal, who provided technical support for the trial. Mr. Machen also thanked Paralegals Jeannette Litz and Barbara Necastro and Lauren Vermette, an intern with the Office, in preparing this case for trial. He commended Legal Assistants LaToya Davenport, LaToya Wade and Priscilla Hutson, all of whom provided administrative support. He also expressed gratitude to Yvonne Bryant, of the Victim Witness Assistance Unit. Lastly, he praised Assistant U.S. Attorney Stephen J. Spiegelhalter, who investigated the case, and Matthew M. Graves and George P. Varghese, who investigated and prosecuted the matter at trial.

This content has been reproduced from its original source.