Home Tampa Press Releases 2013 Armed Robber Sentenced to 32 Years After Robbing the Same Store Twice and Firing His Gun at Clerk
This is archived material from the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) website. It may contain outdated information and links may no longer function.

Armed Robber Sentenced to 32 Years After Robbing the Same Store Twice and Firing His Gun at Clerk

U.S. Attorney’s Office May 06, 2013
  • Middle District of Florida (813) 274-6000

TAMPA—U.S. District Judge Steven D. Merryday sentenced Tavis Toney today (24, Miami) to 32 years in federal prison for carrying and brandishing a firearm during a robbery of a convenience store and for carrying, brandishing, and discharging a firearm during a second robbery of the same convenience store. The court also ordered Toney to forfeit a Cobra .380 caliber semi-automatic pistol, which he used to commit the armed robberies. As part of his sentence, the court ordered Toney to pay restitution in the amount of $1,669, representing the proceeds of the criminal conduct and damages caused to the robbed convenience store. Toney pleaded guilty on February 8, 2013.

According to court documents, on August 3, 2012, Toney and another individual robbed a BP Convenience Store/Kwik Pick Foods in Pasco County. They pointed firearms at the store clerks and ordered all store customers on the ground. Toney and the other robber took $260 from a patron and $750 from the store’s cash register before fleeing the scene. On August 7, 2012, Toney attempted to rob the same convenience store at gunpoint again. Wearing a hat/mask and gloves and using the Cobra .380 caliber semi-automatic pistol, Toney ordered everyone in the store on the ground. A store clerk, who had also been robbed during the earlier robbery, managed to grab a revolver and shoot at Toney. Toney ducked and shot at the store clerk as he ran out of the store, dropping his semi-automatic weapon as he fled.

This case was investigated by the Federal Bureau of Investigation and the Pasco County Sheriff’s Office. It was prosecuted by Assistant United States Attorney Mark E. Bini.

This content has been reproduced from its original source.