Home Phoenix Press Releases 2012 Tucson Man Sentenced to Over Eight Years in Federal Prison for Stalking
This is archived material from the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) website. It may contain outdated information and links may no longer function.

Tucson Man Sentenced to Over Eight Years in Federal Prison for Stalking

U.S. Attorney’s Office May 15, 2012
  • District of Arizona (602) 514-7500

TUCSON—Moses Antonio Shepard, 47, of Tucson, was sentenced on Monday to 100 months (eight years and four moths) in federal prison by U.S. District Judge Cindy K. Jorgenson. Shepard was convicted by a jury on January 19, 2012 of two counts of interstate stalking.

“Stalking is a serious, potentially life-threatening crime,” said Acting U.S. Attorney Ann Birmingham Scheel. “A stalker not only permanently changes the life of his victim, but he also affects the victim’s family, friends, and co-workers. The U.S. Attorney’s Office will continue to work with our law enforcement partners to bring to justice those who engage in this frightening crime.”

“This sentence is the culmination of efforts by the Federal Bureau of Investigation, the West Hartford Connecticut Police Department, and the United States Attorney’s Office,” stated FBI SAC James L. Turgal, Jr. “Moses Shepard pursued the victim for 17 years, seriously impacting her life. For two decades, the victim was unable to feel safe at home or at work, constantly fearing for her life. The FBI will continue to work with our partners in law enforcement to ensure the safety of the citizens in our community.”

The evidence at trial showed that Shepard met the victim in a running club in New York City in 1992 and pursued her over the next two decades despite her repeatedly telling Shepard she was not interested in him and requesting that he leave her alone. Shepard continuously contacted the victim by telephone, mail, and e-mail and managed to track her down as she moved across the country in an attempt to conceal her whereabouts from him. On a number of occasions, Shepard traveled to the victim’s home, school, or place of work. Shepard also contacted and harassed the victim’s family members during his relentless pursuit. In 2007, Shepard traveled from Tucson to Connecticut, where he waited near the victim’s home for two days and attempted to meet with her. From 2009 to 2010, Shepard sent the victim dozens of e-mails, some of which were threatening in nature. The victim’s life was significantly impacted by Shepard’s harassment.

In sentencing Shepard to 100 months in prison, Judge Jorgenson noted the extreme distress caused to the victim and Shepard’s lack of remorse for his crimes. Following his term of imprisonment, Shepard will be on supervised release for three years.

The investigation in this case was conducted by the Federal Bureau of Investigation with assistance from the West Hartford (Connecticut) Police Department. The prosecution was handled by Angela W. Woolridge, District of Arizona, Tucson.

This content has been reproduced from its original source.