Home Phoenix Press Releases 2010 Gila River Man Sentenced to 25 Years for Brutalizing Pregnant Girlfriend
This is archived material from the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) website. It may contain outdated information and links may no longer function.

Gila River Man Sentenced to 25 Years for Brutalizing Pregnant Girlfriend

U.S. Attorney’s Office November 10, 2010
  • District of Arizona (602) 514-7500

PHOENIX—Phillip Gomez, 29, of the Gila River Indian Community, was sentenced to 25 years in a federal prison. U.S. Judge Susan R. Bolton sentenced the defendant after a jury found him guilty in May for assault resulting in serious bodily injury, assault with a dangerous weapon, and kidnapping.

“The sentence of 25 years is a just sentence given the brutality the defendant inflicted on the woman who was bearing his child,” said U.S. Attorney Dennis K. Burke. “This man brutalized the victim for almost four hours and later tried to convince her to not come forward. I want to commend my prosecutors who worked tirelessly to obtain justice in this case.”

The evidence at trial showed that Gomez beat, kicked, and punched his girlfriend for a period of three to four hours, repeatedly dragged her around the home by her hair, and beat her with a stereo speaker that he ripped from the other stereo components. Additionally, the defendant attempted to conceal the blood that was shed from her wounds by forcing her to shower. Pictures at the scene revealed the blood and clumps of hair throughout the home.

Gomez fled the home when the victim’s mother came home during the assault and called the police. During the 911 call, the defendant could be heard in the background yelling the words, “She made me!” When police arrived on the scene, the victim’s face was beaten so severely that both eyes were swollen shut and she had to be flown, via helicopter, to the hospital. She suffered massive bruising with over 40 bruises to her body and three severe lacerations to her face, resulting in permanent scarring.

Testimony showed that during the assault, the defendant’s brother walked in on the assault but did nothing to stop it. Testimony showed that Gomez called the victim repeatedly while she was in the hospital in an attempt to pressure her not to come to court. While the victim expressed some reluctance to appear in court, she ultimately elected to take the stand and provided powerful testimony.

The investigation in this case was conducted by the Gila River Police Department and the FBI. The prosecution was handled by Sharon Sexton and Leta Hollon, Assistant United States Attorneys, District of Arizona, Phoenix, Arizona.

RELEASE NUMBER: 2010-242(Gomez)

This content has been reproduced from its original source.