Home Oklahoma City Press Releases 2009 Senior Citizen Bank Robber Gets Lengthy Prison Sentence
This is archived material from the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) website. It may contain outdated information and links may no longer function.

Senior Citizen Bank Robber Gets Lengthy Prison Sentence

U.S. Attorney’s Office October 29, 2009
  • Northern District of Oklahoma (918) 382-2700

Acting U.S. Attorney Thomas Scott Woodward announced that a 64 year-old Dallas, Texas man received a lengthy sentence in federal prison for bank robbery and gun crimes.

John Lawrence Stanley was sentenced yesterday to 684 months in the Federal Bureau of Prisons (84 months for two Tulsa bank robberies plus two consecutive sentences of 300 months each for two counts of using a firearm in the commission of a felony). The lengthy sentences are partly because of previous gun convictions.

Stanley robbed the Tulsa National Bank located at 7120 South Lewis in Tulsa on March 2, 2004. At that time he entered the bank carrying a tan paper portfolio. He retrieved a firearm from the portfolio, pointed it at the teller and demanded all of the loose and strapped money in her teller drawer which amounted to $10,435 in U.S. currency. He instructed the teller to turn around and count to ten as he exited the building.

On April 14, 2004, Stanley was in Oklahoma on a family matter when he robbed BancFirst at 7136 South Yale in Tulsa. He was wearing a fake mustache and fake teeth and carrying a briefcase. He pulled a gun out of the briefcase and pointed it at the teller and told her he wanted all her large bills and no alarms. He repeated his demands with other tellers at their separate windows. Stanley left the bank with $3,258 in cash. 

Stanley was arrested on June 10, 2004, shortly after robbing a Kansas City bank. He admitted to investigators to committing 34 bank robberies in six states including the two in Tulsa. He has been in custody since that time. 

The case was investigated by the FBI and the Tulsa PD. Assistant U.S. Attorneys Susan Morgan and Steve Sewell handled the prosecution of the case for the government. 

This content has been reproduced from its original source.