Home Mobile Press Releases 2012 Three Plead Guilty to Carjacking and Kidnapping Three Children
This is archived material from the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) website. It may contain outdated information and links may no longer function.

Three Plead Guilty to Carjacking and Kidnapping Three Children
Children were Ages 2 ½, 1 ½, and 2 Months

U.S. Attorney’s Office July 20, 2012
  • Middle District of Alabama (334) 233-7280

MONTGOMERY, AL—Joshua Roland Fuller Gilley, 26, of Enterprise, Alabama; and Westly Robert Rogers, 25, of Ozark, Alabama, each pled guilty to carjacking an Isuzu Rodeo in which three children, ages 2 ½ years, 1 ½ years, and 2 months old, were riding in the backseat. In the same case, Melissa Lynn Mione McGee, 37, of Daleville, Alabama, pled guilty to kidnapping those same three young children, announced U.S. Attorney, George L. Beck.

Around May 21, 2011, the victims, J.G. and A.L. were first introduced to McGee by someone they had met over the Internet named “Nate.” McGee claimed to be a human resources representative from Memphis, Tennessee, and offered to help the couple find jobs and a residence near Ozark, Alabama. As a result of this offer, the victims traveled to Ozark. In Ozark, the victims and their three children stayed in a motel room at the Ozark Inn paid for by McGee. During their stay at the Ozark Inn, McGee personally met with the couple, provided them small amounts of money and food and promised to get J.G. a job paying $17 an hour.

On Sunday, June 5, 2011, the victims and the three children drove to a rural area outside of Brundidge, Alabama, to meet with McGee and take possession of a mobile home McGee had promised them. When they arrived, McGee introduced them to Rogers and Gilley, whom McGee referred to as “Mike” and “Nate.” Rogers and Gilley immediately assaulted the young couple and forcibly removed them from their Isuzu Rodeo. Rogers and Gilley then climbed into the Isuzu and drove off with the three children still in the back seat. McGee drove a white SUV ahead of Rogers and Gilley and later took custody of the 2-month-old baby, while the 2 ½-year-old and the 1 ½-year-old were dumped in the driveway of a residence in Black, Alabama. Upon finding the two older children, the occupants of the residence brought the children to a nearby hospital.

Less than 48 hours after the crime occurred, law enforcement officers were able to track down the baby to a private residence in Dothan, Alabama. The woman who lived there told authorities that she had agreed to watch the baby for McGee, who had claimed the stolen baby was her own child.

“Our office will continue to vigorously prosecute those who endanger children. These three defendants not only endangered these young children by kidnapping them from their mother, but they dumped the two older children in a driveway in rural Alabama, showing no concern for their welfare,” said U.S. Attorney, George L. Beck, Jr. “In our society, that behavior is inexcusable.”

FBI Mobile Division SAC Stephen E. Richardson stated, “The success of this investigation was directly attributable to the hard work, coordination, and cooperation of our law enforcement partners and the quick response from the citizens of this community.”

A sentencing hearing will be held before United States District Judge Mark E. Fuller. Rogers and Gilley each face a possible sentence of 15 years in prison, a $250,000 fine, and three years’ supervised release. McGee faces a possible sentence of 25 years to life in prison, a fine of $250,000, and not less than five years’ supervised release.

This case was investigated by the Federal Bureau of Investigation, which is being assisted by the Dale County Sheriff’s Office, the United States Marshals Service, the Geneva County Sheriff’s Office, the Alabama Bureau of Investigation, the Ozark Police Department, the Walton County (Florida) Sheriff’s Office, the Houston County Sheriff’s Office, the Dothan Police Department, the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children, and other law enforcement partners. This case has been prosecuted by Assistant United States Attorneys Kent Brunson and Nathan Stump.

This content has been reproduced from its original source.