Home Memphis Press Releases 2013 Rickey Groves Sentenced to More Than 118 Years in Prison for Carjacking, Armed Robbery Spree
This is archived material from the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) website. It may contain outdated information and links may no longer function.

Rickey Groves Sentenced to More Than 118 Years in Prison for Carjacking, Armed Robbery Spree

U.S. Attorney’s Office January 17, 2013
  • Western District of Tennessee (901) 544-4231

MEMPHIS—Rickey Groves, a/k/a Rickey Hughes, 29, of Memphis, Tennessee, was sentenced today to 1,424 months in federal prison by U.S. District Judge John T. Fowlkes, Jr., announced U.S. Attorney Edward L. Stanton, III.

In April and May 2008, Groves carjacked at least two individuals and robbed at least four restaurants at gunpoint near Southeast Memphis. The robbery spree included the McDonalds located at 3377 Winchester Road; the McDonalds located at 1755 Getwell Road; the Popeye’s located at 4720 Showcase Boulevard; and The Kettle located at 4139 Winchester Road.

On August 15, 2011, Groves was convicted by a jury of carjacking and possession of a firearm during and in relation to a crime of violence. He was also convicted by a jury on October 30, 2012, of four counts of robbery of a business engaged in interstate commerce and four counts of using a firearm during each robbery. There is no parole in the federal system.

“This sentence is the product of a true collaborative effort between federal and local law enforcement,” said U.S. Attorney Stanton. “Rickey Groves had a criminal history marked by violent acts perpetrated against innocent citizens across Memphis. His conviction under federal statutes which promise no opportunity for parole, coupled with today’s stiff sentence, sends a message to anyone who chooses to use a firearm to commit unlawful acts that you will be brought to justice and be held accountable to the fullest extent of the law.”

The investigation was conducted by the Safe Streets Task Force, specifically by the Memphis Police Department and the FBI. This case was prosecuted by First Assistant U.S. Attorney Michelle Kimbril-Parks.

This content has been reproduced from its original source.