Home Louisville Press Releases 2009 Big Sandy Inmate Gets More Than Eight Years in Prison for Violent Assault
This is archived material from the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) website. It may contain outdated information and links may no longer function.

Big Sandy Inmate Gets More Than Eight Years in Prison for Violent Assault

U.S. Attorney’s Office October 06, 2009
  • Eastern District of Kentucky (859) 233-2661

PIKEVILLE, KY—The United States Attorney’s Office, the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) and the Warden at the United States Penitentiary (USP) Big Sandy jointly announced today that a Big Sandy inmate was sentenced yesterday to 100 months in prison for a violent assault that left another inmate partially paralyzed.

United States District Court Judge Amul Thapar sentenced 29-year-old Manuel Cardoza formerly of Dorchester, Mass. for the charge of assault resulting in bodily harm.

In June of 2009, a jury found Cardosa guilty of the charge. The evidence at trial established that on December 10, 2008, Cardosa attacked the inmate from behind as the inmate walked in a prison housing unit. Cardosa knocked his victim to the floor and repeatedly jumped with both feet on his victim’s head. The evidence at trial also established that the victim inmate suffered permanent and life threatening injuries.

Under federal law, Cardosa must serve 85 percent of his prison sentence. Cardosa’s current sentence will run consecutive to any remaining prison time at the Bureau of Prisons (BOP). Upon release, Cardosa will be under the supervision of the United States Probation Office for three years.

Cardosa will also pay restitution in the amount of $94,399.62 to the BOP. The restitution was ordered to compensate the BOP for the medical care of the victim inmate.

The investigation was conducted by the USP Big Sandy Special Investigative Service and the FBI. The United States was represented by Assistant United States Attorney Robert M. Duncan, Jr.

This content has been reproduced from its original source.