Home Kansas City Press Releases 2009 Kansas City Man Pleads Guilty to Bank Robbery
This is archived material from the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) website. It may contain outdated information and links may no longer function.

Kansas City Man Pleads Guilty to Bank Robbery
Nervous Thief Left His Wallet Behind, Identified from Driver’s License

U.S. Attorney’s Office November 19, 2009
  • Western District of Missouri (816) 426-3122

KANSAS CITY, MO—Matt J. Whitworth, United States Attorney for the Western District of Missouri, announced that a Kansas City, Mo., man pleaded guilty in federal court today to robbing First Federal Bank.

Albert Vincent Perkins, 40, of Kansas City, pleaded guilty before U.S. Magistrate Judge Robert E. Larsen this morning to the charge contained in a June 23, 2009, superseding indictment.

Perkins admitted that he stole $3,129 from First Federal Bank, 4227 Blue Ridge Blvd. in Kansas City, on May 7, 2009. Co-defendant Monique M. Hernandez, 42, also of Kansas City, has also pleaded guilty to her role in the bank robbery.

According to an affidavit filed in support of the original criminal complaint filed against Perkins, he entered the bank and approached a teller counter. Perkins was holding a checking brochure and a wallet. Perkins leaned forward toward the clerk, told her to be quiet and give him all the $100 bills. Perkins then placed the wallet and brochure on the counter and handed the teller a plastic bag. The teller placed money in the bag and handed it back to Perkins, whom she described as “very agitated and nervous.” Perkins turned and left the bank, leaving his wallet on the counter.

Law enforcement officers used Perkins’ driver’s license and another photo from the wallet to identify him. Hernandez admitted that she entered the bank ahead of Perkins to case the building, then reported back to him what she learned shortly before the robbery occurred.

Under federal statutes, Perkins and Hernandez are each subject to a sentence of up to 20 years in federal prison without parole, plus a fine up to $250,000. Sentencing hearings will be scheduled after the completion of presentence investigations by the United States Probation Office.

This case is being prosecuted by Assistant U.S. Attorney David A. Barnes. It was investigated by the Federal Bureau of Investigation and the Kansas City, Mo., Police Department.

This content has been reproduced from its original source.