Home Indianapolis Press Releases 2009 Louisville Man Sentenced to Over 22 Years for Bank Robbery in Floyds Knobs
This is archived material from the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) website. It may contain outdated information and links may no longer function.

Louisville Man Sentenced to Over 22 Years for Bank Robbery in Floyds Knobs

U.S. Attorney’s Office December 23, 2009
  • Southern District of Indiana (317) 226-6333

INDIANAPOLIS—John L. Stephens, 45, Louisville, Kentucky, was sentenced to 272 months in prison late yesterday by U.S. District Judge Sarah E. Barker following his guilty plea to armed bank robbery and brandishing a firearm during a crime of violence. This case was the result of a joint investigation by the Federal Bureau of Investigation, Floyd County Sheriff’s Department, New Albany Police Department, Louisville Metropolitan Police Department, and the Indiana State Police.

On the morning of March 25, 2009, John Stephens entered the Floyds Knobs branch of Your Community Bank, displayed a handgun and robbed the federally insured bank of approximately $14,500. In doing so, he ordered bank employees to the floor and threatened to shoot them. Along with cash, Stephens was handed a dye-pack, which detonated when he left the bank. Witnesses observed Stephens as he walked from the bank to a red Ford Ranger truck registered to him, which he used as a getaway vehicle. Officers later found a dye stained bag which had been used by Stephens to hold the stolen money in the parking lot where he had parked his truck.

Officers later located the Stephens vehicle and they attempted to stop him. Following a series of “hit and run” incidents, Stephens abandoned the truck in western Floyd County, and took off on foot. Hours later, Stephens was found hiding in a wooded area and was arrested. Following a waiver of his Miranda rights, Stephens confessed to the robbery and provided detailed information. He stated that he used a loaded .38 caliber revolver which he abandoned in the woods during his flight.

According to Assistant U.S. Attorney James M. Warden, who prosecuted the case for the government, Judge Barker also imposed five years supervised release following Stephens’s release from prison. Stephens was ordered to make restitution in the amount of $97,881.21 for expenses incurred by law enforcement during Stephens’ attempted escape.

This content has been reproduced from its original source.