Home Houston Press Releases 2012 Corpus Christi Man Convicted of Assaulting a Federal Agent
This is archived material from the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) website. It may contain outdated information and links may no longer function.

Corpus Christi Man Convicted of Assaulting a Federal Agent

U.S. Attorney’s Office December 04, 2012
  • Southern District of Texas (713) 567-9000

CORPUS CHRISTI, TX—Margarito Reyes, 60, of Corpus Christi, has been convicted of one count of assaulting a United States Marshal, United States Attorney Kenneth Magidson announced today. The federal jury returned its verdict late yesterday following a one-day trial.

During the trial, the government presented testimony that the United States Marshals were attempting to locate a fugitive wanted on an arrest warrant and believed to be armed and dangerous. The fugitive, later discovered to be the grandson of Reyes, was believed to be staying at his Corpus Christi home.

On September 21, 2012, a team of marshals went to the home of Reyes to find the fugitive. The testimony at trial proved that one of the marshals asked Reyes to step outside of the house in order for the marshals to do their job. Reyes refused, became agitated, and charged towards the marshal while throwing punches. The marshal blocked the punches, but Reyes grabbed the ballistic vest the marshal was wearing and a struggle ensued. Two other marshals had to assist in getting Reyes to let go of the vest.

Reyes sustained some abrasions to his face, while the marshal sustained injuries to his left forearm. Both Reyes and the victim received medical attention on scene but did not require further medical care.

The testimony also provided that the marshal assaulted by Reyes had a weapon drawn when he arrived on scene and had to secure that weapon against his chest during the assault in order to prevent that weapon from accidentally discharging.

Reyes is scheduled to be sentenced on February 14, 2013, at which time he faces a maximum of eight years’ imprisonment and a $250,000 fine. He was permitted to remain on bond pending that hearing.

This case was investigated by the FBI and prosecuted by Assistant United States Attorney Chad W. Cowan.

This content has been reproduced from its original source.