Home Boston Press Releases 2014 Boston Man Sentenced for ATM Burglary
This is archived material from the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) website. It may contain outdated information and links may no longer function.

Boston Man Sentenced for ATM Burglary

U.S. Attorney’s Office April 04, 2014
  • District of Massachusetts (617) 748-3100

BOSTON—A Boston man was sentenced today for the 2012 robbery of an ATM in Boston’s South End.

Terry K. Leigh, 47, was sentenced by U.S. District Court Judge Dennis F. Saylor today to 30 months in prison and three years of supervised release and was ordered to pay $58,000 in restitution to the Bank of America. In January 2014, Leigh pleaded guilty to bank burglary.

On August 11, 2012, federal agents and detectives were conducting surveillance on a Bank of America ATM located at 465 Columbus Avenue, Boston, as part of an ongoing investigation into ATM burglaries. At approximately 9:45 p.m., the agents observed two individuals enter the lobby of an apartment building located next to the ATM. Access to the ATM’s “money room” is gained through a locked security door within the apartment building’s lobby. One of the individuals, later identified as Leigh, was carrying a green duffel bag and wearing a blue hat, a gray shirt, dark sweatpants, and what appeared to be a fake black beard. After a few minutes, both individuals left the apartment building, exiting onto Columbus Avenue. Leigh then re-entered the apartment building. The agents, believing that the ATM was about to be robbed, gained access to the building’s lobby and observed Leigh exiting the ATM’s money room. Leigh fled up an adjoining staircase and was captured a short time later on the roof. Following Leigh’s arrest, the agents located the green bag containing various cutting tools, the blue hat, and the fake beard that Leigh had been wearing. The ATM, which sustained significant damage, contained in excess of $240,000.

United States Attorney Carmen M. Ortiz; Vincent B. Lisi, Special Agent in Charge of the Federal Bureau of Investigation, Boston Field Division; and Boston Police Commissioner William Evans made the announcement today. The case is being prosecuted by Kenneth G. Shine of Ortiz’s Major Crimes Unit.

This content has been reproduced from its original source.